#39; Inspector Gadget

Friday 9 October 2009

 

Let’s face it – if you love your technology you LOVE it when you have a new gadget in your hands to mess about with and just explore. Today I had that awesome privilege after I gave in to quite a long term decision to buy myself an iPod Touch (it’s not iTouch!). I’ve been wanting to get my hands on one for such a long time and, well, I gave in. I sat down, thought about the pros and cons, got heavily persuaded by Sidepodcast, then decided that with my current iPod Nano starting to fill up then maybe it’s time to take that step up the ladder to a new world of iPod goodiness. And here 09102009239 copyit is!

I’ve spent a few hours fighting my way through this new world of applications, touchy-ness and general bouts of loud music, to the point where I have decided that the iPod Touch was totally worth giving in for. I absolutely love it! At first it’s been a bit of a pain getting used to the keyboard – my name has evolved into the likes of LLkeh and Lujeh plenty of times in this inexperienced newbie state of mine – but I’m settled in with it all now and well impressed by what it offers to me as not only an MP3 player, which is obviously gonna be it’s main use, but as a thing that does things in an awesome way kinda thing. I believe that’s the official term anyway.

One of the main attractions to me was the fact that the iPod Touch, much like it’s more social sister in the iPhone, supports applications in many forms. Whether this be for social networking, gaming, stupid boredom stuff or whatever, chances are you’ll find an app that will please you. There are plenty of games available for the Touch and, with my being an avid gamer, I can’t wait over time to try out a few. at the moment I have only two games that I’ve purchased – the Secret of Monkey Island, of course, and the fantastically underrated point and click adventure game Beneath a Steel Sky, which decided to inform the world earlier today on my twitter about it’s arrival into my world.

As I say though, so far I’m very impressed and I can’t wait to discover more awesome and useful things the Touch can be used for. In terms of an mp3 player, it more than fulfils my neediness for something that provides excellent quality playback and, with 32gb of space, I’m more than spoilt with the amount I can put on. As I say though, I’m still very new to this whole world of applications and awesome stuff, so please do recommend any applications you think I should check out (paid or free, I’m not too choosy!) as I’d love to know from the iPhone/iPod Touch owners what’s worth checking out.

Ooh I do love a new gadget! It’s like Christmas but without the whole Christmas bit!

6 comments:

RubberGoat said...

Oooh you got an iTouch!

Try Tweetdeck, Remote, VLC remote, Real Racing, Slotz, Enigmo, Real Football 09, Google Earth, Sonic, GrooveMaker, Crazy Machine, Wikipedia, and the Wordpress app...

Christine said...

I am insanely jealous of your 32GB.

Keep us posted on what apps you like and don't like :)

Amy said...

"Ooh I do love a new gadget! It’s like Christmas but without the whole Christmas bit!"

Yes! Nothing beats new gadget day, especially if you buy things online and get the fun of opening the package (although then you don't get the instant gratification of buying something in the shop and having it RIGHT NOW)

LukehMuse said...

@Gavin - Thanks a lot! I'll have a look through, I know some of them will definitely be useful.

@Christine - Sounds like a good idea, I'll report back in a while once I've got used to whatever I may find and see how they turn out.

Bassano Clapper said...

Welcome to the club Lukeh, you'll not regret it

Some of my favourite apps are:
Paid - Worms, Zen Bound, Peggle
Free - Shazam, Paper Toss, ATM Hunter, Free RSS

Also, if you want Sports & F1 apps, there's a guest post for that ;)
http://tinyurl.com/yg3z75u

Enjoy your toy

J Thunder said...

Nice to see you got an iPod Touch! I personally have an iPhone 3GS and I have been loving it! Well, good luck with it. There is more to the device than meets the eye. :p