#8; London Bridge isn't falling down

Thursday 16 April 2009

Wow, what a day! As I said yesterday today I was heading off to London to meet up with some fantastic individuals from the Sidepodcast community to see a Formula 1 related exhibition at London's Science Museum. I say exhibition as do the owners of it but I'd prefer the term 'Several futuristic items watched by a psychotic guard and a bloody annoying alarm thing'. The exhibit itself was a bit underwhelming to say the least, it was pretty small and it had such exclusive items as carbon fiber stairs (carbon fiber stairs!!), a fishing rod and a Ron Dennis Cryogenics Pod... or so it was thought to be with friends and msyelf.

It was a shame it was so disappointing because it could've had so much more but it felt very un-F1 related considering. The highlight of the museum F1-wise was seeing Mika Hakkinen's car from the 1999 German Grand Prix in which he crashed out at silly-speed-mph. I myself was amazed at the 'No Photography' side wing that I'd never noticed before on the car! Furthermore relating Mclaren and the museum, Lewis' car was hanging upside down at the entrance. I don;t really need to explain how much such a sight confused me.

Asides from the museum it was a tremendous day for sure. Just getting the chance to relax in Hyde Park's lucious greens and enjoy the beaming sunshine was rejoiceful and being around some truly wonderful people that enlighted and delighted myself was such good fun. Plus it's so releiving being able to talk F1 to people who love the sport because of it's fundamentals, it's history, the passion they have for it and the sport being bloody fantastic, not because of who the media darling is at any current situation feigning a fake interest! It was also so relaxing being able to just chill out and forget about the worries of the world in such a pleasent environment, one I simply cannot explain and praise enough.

So what did I learn today?

  • Traffic lights are evil. If the little man is green, do not stop.
  • I get confused at a lot of things... far too often.
  • London Underground isn't as nervous as I was making myself think it was
  • Chairs are not invisible, you cannot walk through them no matter how many times I try.
  • London rocks. So much.
  • SERIOUS SECURITY GUARD IS SERIOUS.
  • Walking when trying to photograph stuff is a stupid idea
  • That I'm lucky to have met such a great community and know that I'll be joining them for more escapades in the future!

So yeah today was a delight and one I hope to recreate many a times. Thanks again so much to everyone that came along because I can't stress enough how much fun today was and how nice it was to be able to get away and relax in the company of a group of great indivduals. Funnily enough I mentioned today how lovely the sunshine was and how enjoyable it was to be able to relax in such joyous weather when Wales gets so much rain and cloud... and when I get back to Wales... rain and cloud.

Ahh I'll never win!!

5 comments:

Bassano said...

A nice summation, tis truly a wonderful group effort going on. Here's to many more

Alex Andronov said...

Really great to meet you Lukeh!

And thanks for a great article!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Great post :) what a lovely day it was, even with the crazy security guard ;)

Pat W said...

Good to meet you Lukeh, and it was indeed a great day! You've come to realise something I found a short while ago: London is just the best place in the world.