#30; Looking the Part – Top 5 F1 Liveries

Monday 3 August 2009

If you’re an F1 fan, I’m sure you’ll agree that a car’s livery is mega important. Sure it has no technological advancement, no horsepower advantage, nothing like that, but it’s damned important I feel to a team. Seeing a livery you love, one that sticks out in your mind, something you remember for years to come shows just how important a livery can be for the identity of a team. Yes, it can all go horribly wrong and you can be remembered as an F1 team for all the wrong reasons, but never mind that. My top 5 liveries come from many different years, perhaps controversial to you, but I thought perhaps it would be nice to give out my list and explain what makes them so fantastically lovely to look at.

Starting at…

5) – Rothmans Williams 1996
 

How did anything relating to Jacques Villeneuve get in a top 5 of mine? Bizarre. Nevertheless, I had the pleasure of reminding myself how lovely the 1997 Williams was at Goodwood and it is simply a lovely car. In 1996 obviously performance wise it did the job for Damon Hill but what I love about the livery is the amount of colour it has but at the same time, none of them class to make it ugly to look at personally. The Rothmans brand is obviously relevant in making this so prominent in terms of the colours, but it really works so very well. Blue, white, gold and red? Yes please.

4) – Jordan Mugen-Honda 1998

Again, I feel incredibly wrong putting anything related to Eddie Jordan in my top 5 but look at this car. Just look at it. What the hell is that thing on the front nose? I haven’t a clue but my god, it is AWESOME. That’s all I can describe of the look of this car. It’s bright, it’s in your face, it’s simply shouts anger and everything and even though it wasn’t mildly impressive minus that insane race at Spa, I just loved the look of it. It’s nice and bright, for one, but with the contrasting black detail and various red related sponsors, it all just fits to make a lovely looking car I reckon. Why oh why did it have to be EJ’s though?

3) – Lotus Renault 1986

You definitely don’t need me to remind you who drove this beast of a car, and yet at the same time, brought out all the beauty within Formula 1 through his driving. Ayrton Senna is as much as a legend as this Lotus is, and visually, it’s incredible. A huge contrast to the other cars I have chosen, the livery simply has 2 colours – black and gold. Admittedly this was before I was born and what I know of the car comes from articles, images, and many, many videos of Formula 1 over the Lotus years but something about this particular car and this particular year just makes me love it. The contrasting look of a dark Black and a shimmering gold alongside each other just make it completely memorable.

 

2) – Jaguar Cosworth 2003
jag03 

I’ll be honest. There were some absolutely gorgeous cars in 2003 – special mention to the Renault with that lovely blue and yellow flowing livery that just went so well both on the eyes and on the track, the Sauber Petronas with the blue and turquoise Red Bull sponsored livery, Honda’s Lucky Strike white and red beast that provided Jenson Button’s first ever pole, and a few others here and there. This Jaguar though, as average as it was performance wise, is an absolutely beauty. Just the racing green alone standing proud with that screaming Jaguar on the rear of the car being combined with the white and red streaks via the HSBC sponsorship just make me want to hug this car and tell it how good it looks. Will continue to stay in my good books for the visual loveliness of the livery for many years.

1) – Brawn GP 2009

Button and Barrichello

Please don’t shout at me. Yes, I know you’re going to get to this number 1 and think ‘Oh come on!’ but I simply absolutely adore the Brawn livery. It shocked a lot of people at first when the team were finally revealed and that livery appeared on the Silverstone tests back in February, but my god, what a car. It’s a very bright livery with the main white theme obviously being present but it’s just something about those blindingly stunning yellow streaks with the black stroke around them that just made me fall in love with the Brawn’s visual design not long after I saw it for the first time. A lot of ‘fans’ of the team have come out of the woodwork since their success but how many of them, no doubt supporting simply for Jenson’s success, can say they absolutely adore this design? Yes, it is my favourite livery. Yes, I realise how controversial that may sound after 60 years of Formula 1 to be behind a 2009 livery. But… I simply refuse to ignore how much I love Brawn ’s livery. Simple. Elegant. Bright. Brawn.

So that’s my own top 5 liveries of F1 concerning what I know, what I’ve seen and what I watched. I’m sure lots of you are shouting at your computer screens right now asking why on earth I’ve chosen this and that, but I’d love to hear what you think about a top 5 or what you would choose. There’s so many options, so many possibilities, and so many opinions in the world that the combinations are endless!

Just as long as no one mentions the 1999 Winfield Williams car.

Strewth.

5 comments:

Nick said...

Great post, car liveries are something i love too :D

Brawn at Number1?! i like it, but i think we need to judge it against their cars over the next 2 or 3 years to see if they are going to keep these colours and develop them to be as iconic as red is to ferrari.

I think the Jordan is a hornet, they had to rename their sponsor Buzzing Hornets or Bitten & Hissing for some races and took it a step further with the paintwork on the car!

Great post... although you missed the beauty of my personal favourite, the 1994 Pacific-Ilmor!

LukehMuse said...

I know Brawn is a controversial choice, but after seeing it at Goodwood and the likes, I can't come to any other conclusion. I absolutely love it, it's just sensational for me not only as a Brawn fan but just looking at it. It's not even bias too, I'm keeping any kind of performance related aspect or fan bias out of it, and I still come back to Brawn being my favourite. :)

I remember Buzzin' Hornets now... hehe. Silly Tobacco sponsorships!

R.G said...

You sir, are wrong. 4 fantastic cars (personal fave the Jag, you could pick any years) and then the dull, dull highlighty white of Brawn. If it were black, not white, I'd be agreeing with you right about now.

In the place there, I suggest the greatest livery of all time. Spyker 2007. Thank you and good night.

(Great post btw)

Pitmonster said...

Great article Luke!

I would put that JPS Lotus at no.1, and would suggest the Gold Leaf Lotus 49 and the 1991 Jordan too.
The Jag you've shown is excellent and has really clean lines, and I always had a soft spot for the 1988 Benetton and the 1986 Williams too.

Anonymous said...

OK, I do disagree with Brawn being in there, but hey, that's your choice!

I think an honourable mention should go to the Marlboro McLarens, the Camel Williamses, the Jordan from 1991 and the 2005-2006 Mild Seven Renaults...