#22; Full steam ahead, Goodwood

Thursday 2 July 2009

GoodwoodLogo(1)

If you’re a big fan of your motorsport and know the various events around the calendar, then you should know that this weekend is the illustrious Festival of Speed held at Goodwood. Occurring over the 3rd, 4th and 5th of July, the festival celebrated everything that is motorsport, the thrill of the chase, the roar of the hundreds of horsepower screaming towards onlookers, and just something that, or so I have been told, every motorsport fan should attend at least once. This weekend, as you can probably guess by now, I shall be attended all 3 days!! Woohoo!!

For those not in the know, the event’s website explains it better than me… here is the official blurb from the Goodwood website states…

“The Festival of Speed is far more than just a hill climb – it is a celebration of the history of motor sport and can justifiably claim to be the world’s biggest and most diverse classic motor sports event. Taking place outside Goodwood House, using the main road through the Park as the track, it’s the only occasion where you’ll see in action the greatest competition cars and star drivers from the entire history of motor sport. Famous drivers and riders have attended such as Sir Stirling Moss, Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, Nigel Mansell, Mika Hakkinen, Johnny Herbert, Juan Pablo Montoya, Richard Petty, Carl Fogarty, Giacomo Agostini, Troy Corser, Troy Bayliss, Jean Alesi, Jacky Ickx, Marcus Gronholm, Petter Solberg, Hannu Mikkola and Alan Jones to name just a few. The Festival is an unrivalled social and sporting occasion in the motor racing calendar.”

Festival of Speed FAQs

I’m very much excited about seeing everything that the festival holds and you lucky guys will get the pleasure of myself reporting back to you all on Tuesday with a blog detailing my experiences. Originally I was wondering creating a day by day account of my experiences but sadly, due to a lack of internet access for myself over the days, it will not be an option. In fact, you won’t hear from me now until Tuesday – how will I survive for so long without my internets?! Going to the world of ‘outside’ for such a period of time should come with a warning me thinks.

So, wish me luck I suppose. This is the first time I’ll be attending Goodwood and as excited as I am, there’s an obvious anxiety to going somewhere new and different, as I’m sure you guys can understand. It’ll all be excellent though, I can just tell, and hopefully I’ll be able to bring back some lovely photos to share, discuss and enjoy! If any of you guys reading are going, do shout over and come and say hello if you see me – I hope to see you there!

Camera? Check.
Tickets for train and event? Check.
Earplugs? Check.

…well then, let’s go!

0 comments: